Accidents involving large commercial trucks frequently result in devastating injuries and damages. Every year, thousands of large trucks are involved in severe and fatal injury accidents. The trucking industry is heavily regulated by state and federal laws to help keep our roadways safe.
Those who own and operate commercial trucks are responsible for ensuring that their vehicles are safely operated on Louisiana roadways. Unfortunately, truck manufacturers, owners, and drivers are often at fault for truck collisions, but it’s people outside of the truck that usually suffers the most severe accident injuries.
If you have been injured or lost a loved one in a truck accident caused by someone else, a truck accident lawyer can help your case in many ways. Most importantly, an attorney can manage the legal process and help you secure the compensation that you deserve for the losses you have suffered.
Knowing The Applicable Rules And Regulations
Truck accidents are not like regular car accidents because, as previously described, special rules and regulations apply to the maintenance and operation of large commercial vehicles. Commercial truck laws are complex, and only knowledgeable truck accident attorneys should handle these cases.
Regulations that commercial truck drivers and their employers must comply with include the following:
- Special licensing and training requirements – Before drivers are allowed to operate large trucks, they must undergo rigorous safety training and obtain special licenses.
- Hours of service regulations – Drivers are limited in the number of hours per day they may drive and are also required to take breaks after operating their vehicles for a certain number of hours.
- Vehicle inspection and maintenance – Federal regulations require owners and operators to conduct and keep records of regular truck inspections and maintenance.
- Driver background checks – Before potential employees are hired to drive large trucks, employers must perform thorough background checks with a focus on drug and alcohol violations and driving history. Truck drivers are also required to undergo drug testing.
- Vehicle safety requirements – In addition to inspection and maintenance requirements, trucks are required to maintain certain safety features, such as rear impact guards and emergency equipment.
- Cargo loading and carrying requirements – Rules for cargo loading and carrying are in place to ensure that cargo is properly placed and secured in the vehicle to avoid potential dangers, such as brake and tire problems. There are also regulations specific to transporting hazardous materials.
Investigating Accidents And Preserving Evidence
In addition to knowing federal and state trucking laws, a truck accident lawyer will know how to conduct a thorough accident investigation to determine the cause and contributing factors in your accident. During the investigation, your attorney will also gather and preserve evidence that supports your injury claim.
Maximizing Your Compensation
The amount of compensation you secure after a truck accident depends on the extent of your injuries and damages. A truck accident lawyer knows how to negotiate with defendants and insurance companies to help clients maximize their personal injury settlements.
If the defendants in your case do not agree to reasonable settlement terms, your truck accident attorney will be prepared to go to trial. Most cases settle before going to court, but it is critical that your attorney is ready and willing to go to trial, if necessary, to get you full and fair compensation.
To ensure that you secure a full financial recovery, your attorney will examine and value the losses you have suffered, including past, ongoing, and future medical bills, lost wages, pain, suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. In general, the more severe your injuries, the more compensation you will be entitled to collect.
If you lost a loved one in a truck accident, you might pursue compensation for the losses that you suffered, such as loss of financial support, funeral and burial expenses, and medical bills. In some cases, you might also be compensated for the pain and suffering your loved one sustained in the accident.
Contact A Truck Accident Lawyer As Soon As Possible
After a truck accident, it is essential to contact a truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Attorneys at The Law Offices of Chip Forstall have been helping injured clients for four decades, and we understand what you and your family are going through after a truck accident.
Call us at 504-483-3400 or complete our online form to schedule a no-obligation consultation. We have recovered millions of dollars for our clients, and we will help you secure maximum compensation for your injuries and damages.